Call the Fire Department!

A few months ago (at my request) Braydan converted our gas fireplace into a real one. It took some work....... but since then we've enjoyed some cozy, real fires at night. HOWEVER, this past week we've had serious problems!!!!! So with all the beautiful snow, I thought it would be especially festive to have a fire every night. So does Kaleb. The first thing he does when Braydan gets home is run to him and ask "Dadda, hot please?" He even has a paper stash crinkled and ready to light. Well, for some reason on a particularly cold night a few days ago, Braydan did the normal routine of lighting the fire, but smoke POURED in through the house until we could barely see. All the smoke alarms went off and we ran around opening windows and trying not to gag. I ran upstairs with Kaleb to try and hide in our room, but I forgot that smoke rises, so we didn't stay there long either. Finally, after the fire got hot enough, the smoke went up the chimney like a proper fire should. We did some serious brainstorming about why it would do this and thought we figured it out, but tonight was the third time, even with our new changes, that our fire alarms went off and we smell like a camp fire. Our neighbors probably think I can't cook. After googling about our problem, we learned we have a back draft. The air coming down the chimney pushes the smoke into the house. To remedy this, we have to open a window near the fireplace and hold a burning paper up the chimney to get the air flowing the right direction. Something like that. I hope it works next time!

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Real fires are the best. I loved Christmas morning with one going and we would just throw all our garbage wrapping paper into it. I hope that you can get the whole smoke thing figured out though! Not fun...but funny to read.

symony said...

ha ha ha poor thing yeah that works we did that when we lived in the apartment with the wood burning stove it helps it light faster too good luck!

Travis said...

That's pretty cool that you have a real fireplace. Sounds like a pain though. Do you have to leave the window open the whole time or just when you start the fire?

Parker Family said...

That is crazy! Looks like fun though.

Amber said...

When you get that figured out let us know so we can come over and enjoy your fire with you =).

shandikimille said...

ah you might have a little pyro on your hands! I don't think I'd dare have a fire with Chase he is way too sneaky and I know he would play in it every chance he got!

MattnBeck said...

Aah the backdraft. you are not alone. I remember when my parents invested in a wood stove. They spent weeks installing it, laying the brick foundation, etc. Then we all gathered together for the ceremonial lighting and smoke poured through the living room. You're not alone, it has happened to everyone a few times. :)