I was very surprised and impressed that he came up with that scavenger hunt. I began to imagine what could be in the big box. As the day wore on and I had to look at it every time I went in the kitchen, my ideas got more and more extravagant. Since it was obviously gift-wrapped, I assumed it had to be from the mall or something besides Fred Meyer. Maybe it was a fancy dress and new shoes? Maybe it was the expensive duvet cover that I wanted?
Well, when he finally got home from work, we had dinner (which he picked up) and I couldn't wait any longer. I was like a little kid seriously! "Please can I open that present?" I let Kaleb help me rip the wrapping and I slowly opened the lid. First (drum roll please...........) I pulled out a new set of tree clippers. I kinda let out a nervous laugh and reached for the next thing: Gardening gloves. I slipped my fingers in them and pulled out the last thing: New trowels. (no, not towels--which would have been better--but TROWELS)
Now, you're probably thinking these are very nice gifts, but to me, after my dumb imagination worked on me all day, (not to mention that dumb, beautiful, pink bow!) I was in near shock. I tried to hide it and say polite things, like "these will sure come in handy." And, "these gloves fit so well." But Braydan could tell I was disappointed and then he was sad. After that anti-climax, we spent a solemn evening together.
A note to husbands: Never gift wrap something you buy at Coast-to-Coast, even if they do offer! It's just not right :) I think we'll be laughing about this for a while, and he says from now on he's giving me money for my b-day :( Sad.
11 comments:
oh my braydan braydan braydan where were the jewls or diamonds or the fancy dress? silly boy well at least you remembered, that is a step up from most people in our family! ha ha ha jessica you need to go out and buy something you umm.....dont need something you really really want its your birthday! glad you finally wrote about your birhtday! you still haven't called me back yet I am WAITING!
Oh my Goodness Jess........You are in so much trouble with Kaleb. I can't believe he climed up so high....I would have screamed so loud he would have let go on instinct!!! I guess that would have been worse! Good luck with that. :) I am excited to see the newly remodeled kitchen, then again it would require you to have me over in order for that to happen!! J/K! Hope all is well.
Jessica, thanks for letting me know you posted something new. It is so scary of him climbing that ladder! what a wild man! It just makes me smile. He is soooo cute. I just love how you wrote about your birthday. you are such a good writer! It was really good and explains how you were feeling, etc. thanks for that. You are such a good wife and mother and daughter. I love you Jessica. love, mom
I already knew the story but loved reading it!! You made me laugh.
Jacob climbed up a ladder when he was 9 months old. I have pictures as proof too. Watch out! He'll keep you busy.
That is a funny story! I think gifts like that happen to lots of girls.My last bithday chris asked me what I wanted I said I don't know we need shelves for the garage and guess what I got shelves. I thought for sure he would get me at least something else but no. The funny thing was he never even thought about it until I was telling his co-worker I thought he would get me something else with Chris listening. She said "I told you" someone told him to get me something else but did he didn't listen. Sorry forgot to call on your bithday bad family habit I guess but I hope that you at least got the card.
Oh man that post was so funny. The scavenger hunt was a cute idea. But really you can't buy paint with your bday money. THat comes out of the house account:-) I like the color of paint, can't wait to see your other remodeling projects. By the way good job on the LOST guess. You are so good, I couldn't decide who was on the boat, but I am so sad about jin. One more oceanic 6 to learn about. I don't think it's sawyer, but I have no good guesses. We'll see. Who do you think will be killed. OH man I am obsessed.
Kaleb is so cute! I am impressed with all his skills: gardening, digging, ladder climbing, painting: you have a major handyman in the making. I am excited to see all your new colors!
Aren't husbands the best? The tradeoff is that all of those times when you are NOT expecting wonderfulness, there it is, in all of its surprise glory, often without the pink bow.
oh, that is so sweet of braydan, it's the thought that counts and he put a lot of thought into the scavanger hunt, he gets big points for that. Am I weird? I would love new gloves and trowels. I always tell alvin exactly what I expect for my b-day, or even buy it myself to avoid any confusion. I'm not big on surprises any more, I'm too old and boring. A scavenger hunt with treats would be fun though, to lead up to the present I bought for myself. I'll start hinting about that for mother's day....
Steph
p.s. I need that recipe for jello/cottage cheese dessert that you made for us in UT. Post it so everyone can make it for easter!
Hi Jessica, It's Becky, Helena's sister in law. First of all cute pictures, I can't believe how much your little guy has grown up. Also, cute blog. I was reading Chris and Helena's and noticed you wanted a new blog template-try out, Pyzam.com/bloggertemplates, it's free. One of my friends had the link.
Hey Jessica! This is Amanda Griffin. I found your blog off of Stacie's Blog. You have a handsome little boy! They grow up way to fast! Hope you guys are doing good. It was fun to see your cute family!
Post a Comment