Maui: Day 1


I've tried to write about my trip a few times, but blogger made me so frustrated that I gave up.  I'm trying one more time, just for you Mom :-)

So, this is how I kept busy on the plane ride home: writing about my trip!  I had 6 hours, so this is long . . . . just look at the pictures if you want :-)  

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m so sad to be flying away from Maui!  And happy too.  I miss my kids something fierce!   But, I’m going to miss the sun!  (Sniff!)

We planned our trip a while ago, working around Alisha’s break so she could watch the kids.  Bless you Alisha!  We didn’t realize at the time how crazy life would be with trying to sell our house and everything else, but it all worked out and we got to go.

Day One
We flew into Mauii after midnight and didn’t get to see the island until the next morning.  It was so fun to wake up to birds singing, waves crashing, and a beautiful ocean sunrise. 

 We woke up early with the time change, but it was a good thing because our Trilogy Boat left at 7:30. 

I told Braydan that I’ve had bad experiences on ocean boats, but we were both optimistic and excited to go snorkel and snuba at Molokini Island!
No, I didn't take this picture :)

(Okay, I was slightly terrified).  The captain and crew were very funny and we made some friends on the boat from Iowa.  They were probably our parents age and both doctors, but they were down to earth and so awesome (she called me sweetheart and honey).



On the way we spotted tons of humpback whales breaching and making a show for us.
We were never quick enough to get a picture of them fully out of the water :(
But this is what they looked like!

About halfway to the island, the snuba instructor called us down for a lesson.  There were only 5 of us.  That was the first red flag.  Then he asked if we’d snorkeled lots before.  When we said, “never tried it,” he gave us a nervous look and I was out of there.  Not only was I starting to feel nauseous, but the thought that the instructor was hesitant for me to do snuba made me nervous!  Braydan, however, wasn’t deterred and learned how to snuba.

We were almost to the island when I really started feeling awful.  Sure enough I started throwing up.  They sent me to the back of the boat, saying, “the water is more calm back there.”   I think they wanted me away from everyone.  How mortifying! 
Here's my crazy hair, sick face

The whole time I thought I could survive if I could just get on land again and then snorkel, but there was no shore on the island, just volcanic rock. Duh Jessica! I wanted desperately to get off the rocking boat, but I was nervous to jump in the ocean and just snorkel.  My seasickness, however, won over and I jumped in.

  
After a few minutes of panic, I finally put my face in and took a big breath, and it worked!  Braydan was busy with snuba, but we both got to see amazing fish.  Braydan even saw a huge eel. 


After an hour or so there we headed to turtle beach. Again, we didn’t go to land, but just jumped in the ocean and it was so amazing to swim with all the sea turtles.  Braydan even swam down and touched one (he wasn’t supposed to).  I don’t know if it’s the flippers or the salt water, but I felt I could just float on top of the water and not tread or anything.  Weird!  I tried hard not to think about how deep the water was. 

They served trays and trays of cinnamon rolls and fruit for breakfast, and then teriyaki chicken, Hawaiian rolls, and salad for lunch, but I was too sick to eat it.  Sad!  After we headed back to the bay, I got sick again and spent a lot of time throwing up.  Awesome!  I knew for sure that we would be canceling the whale-watching tour, especially since we saw tons of whales already!

I said a prayer of gratitude once we finally made it back to shore in the late afternoon.  I don’t think I’ll be a sailor anytime soon.


We spent the rest of the day checking out Kehei and getting some groceries for our condo (and rehydrating me!).  There was an awesome farmers market right by our place and we loaded up on fresh pineapple, strawberries, and other veggies.  

No comments: