Day 3


Day 3
I never could get used to the time change and kept getting up at 5 every morning (or earlier! Yipes!) so we thought we might as well leave early and drive to Hana.
Seeing the road from this angle makes me remember why the road was so scary
After reaching Hana, I realized why everyone referred to the trip as “the road to Hana.”  Hana is not much to see, but the road there, on the other hand, is crazy and beautiful, and like a roller-coaster ride. 
Waterfall, I can't remember which one
Tons of one-lane bridges, cliff drops into the sea, waterfalls everywhere.  We left the desert and entered the jungle. 





The first waterfall we got to, we had to break out our headlamps because it was so dark still.  But by the next one, we could see and it was so fun hiking up and watching Braydan jump in.  Yes, I just watched.  It was freezing cold!

My favorite was Wananpali State Park.




Weird black sand






We loved the blow holes, the black sandy beaches, and lava tubes.  Very cool.


Braydan was excited to swim . . . until he saw a few signs.

Blow Hole not exploding

Exploding

It was so weird being in a rain forest.  One minute it was hot and humid, and then the next minute it would pour rain for a few minutes.

I was excited to reach Haleakala State Park next to visit the 7 sacred pools.
Some weird trees in the park
7 sacred pools
We hiked down and they had everything blocked off.  We could admire them from above, but nobody could get close to swimming in the water.  Too flooded.  Sad!

I forgot what this place is, but it looks cool


Next we took the craziest road I’ve ever been on.  Braydan didn’t want to turn around and go back through Hana, so we kept going.




I was clinging to my seat the whole time.  It was fun to watch the jungle slowly transform back to a desert as we made our way around.

I tried to point all the "slow" signs for Braydan but he thought the road was a go-cart track.

9 comments:

Amber said...

He and Wes...crazy drivers. Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Ha, that's the road you use to get to Cris's grandma's house. We had to go all the way back through Hana though because just before the Sacred Pools the bridge was out.

Parker Family said...

Looks awesome!

Brittany Mangelson said...

How fun for you and Braydan.. I've been to that blow hole. Hawaii was so much fun. Looks like you are enjoying yourself!! You totally deserve it. Keep posting all the beautiful pics.. I want to see more of you two together!! :-) You are such a cute couple after all.

mom said...

Interesting pictures and so beautiful. I love your Hawaiian skirt you are wearing on that hike.

Ashley said...

Oh my heck, makes me miss it there. Love the black sand beach. It is so hard getting adjusted to that darn time change, but helps getting up before all the locals! That's sad you couldn't swim in the 7 sacred pools!

Ashley said...

Oh my heck, makes me miss it there. Love the black sand beach. It is so hard getting adjusted to that darn time change, but helps getting up before all the locals! That's sad you couldn't swim in the 7 sacred pools!

Saralyn said...

How fun! I'm totally jealous, and I can't wait for more pics!

Sarah said...

So gorgeous! I so wanna go.