Cursed Appendix

Oh man, lots of catching up to do (sigh . . ) But, I better start with the latest happenings: my appendix surgery :( Tuesday my stomach hurt but I just thought it was the guacamole I made that day. Wednesday it was still a sharp pain but I pushed the kids to the park and did piano lessons and my normal thing. I knew something was up though, cause I wasn't eating much and that's not like me! It really started hurting bad Wednesday night and when my friend came to pick me up for Enrichment, I told her I changed my mind. I tried to go to the walk-in clinic that night, but they closed early and I was too cheap to go to the E.R. so I waited all night. It was a long painful night. Thursday morning I was the first one at the clinic and they made me take a pregnancy test and pap smear, checking my ovaries and other things even though I told them IT'S MY APPENDIX. After wasting lots of time there, she sent me over to get a cat scan and that took another 3 hours (cause you have to drink nasty stuff and wait 2 hours for the injection of dye stuff) so, when the doctor finally came and told me the results (of which I already knew), it was 2:30! And I was in some misery by then. They got me right into surgery after that. I was really worried about Eliza more than anything. She'd never had a bottle, never been away from me longer than 3 hours, but she was just fine with Braydan.

The prep for surgery kinda stunk cause they couldn't get the I.V. in and I was getting really woozy. The nurse said I had good veins, but for some reason they had problems. I really wish I wasn't so naive about the whole surgery. Braydan has a pretty long scar from his appendix surgery and Alisha does also, but he told me they do it laporoscopic now and make two little cuts and not such a big deal. So, I honestly thought I would be out of there that day, or at the latest, the next morning. Wrong. I don't remember anything after they wheeled me into the operating room. But, I knew things would be different than I planned when I woke up nauseous and hurting, and with 3 incisions. They said my appendix was almost rupturing, with lots of stuff leaking out that they had to suction. But the surgery went fine. It was just the recovery that took longer than I thought.


Friends watched the kids Thurs. evening so Braydan could come for a while. I feel bad cause I wasn't the happiest person and don't even remember talking to him I was so out of it. Saturday he came early with the kids and at first I was happy to see them and even told Kaleb to come and sit with me on the bed. He sat nice . . . for like a second and then was jumping around and kinda fell on my owies. I instinctively protected myself and pushed him off the bed and then he was crying and screaming. I think his feelings were hurt more than actual physical hurt, but I told Braydan, "okay, that's enough for visiting for today." When he came back again, it was without the kids :)

Bad picture of me--pretty flowers from Braydan

I tried to get up and walk some Friday in hopes that they'd let me go earlier, but doctor came in and said he wanted to keep me another night to get all the antibiotics in me (and he probably saw my crazy kids :) I didn't get released till Saturday afternoon. I almost finished Jane Eyre and got some other good books started that friends brought. I also worked on eating. THey didn't let me eat most of Thursday. And then Friday I didn't feel like eating. Saturday I ate some yogurt so my nurse wouldn't get mad at me. Now that it's Sunday, I feel like the nausea and other problems came from the painpills they gave me! I've been so sick today--wanting to throw-up and head spinning and dizzy. So I decided I'm done with them. I'd rather have the pain than this.

Anyway, Braydan is doing an excellent job taking care of everything. He had a long night with me asking for things, Kaleb crying, Eliza waking up and helping me start nursing her again and just everything. I'm still debating whether to ask Mom to come though. He has to go back to work Tuesday, so we'll see. Well this is long enough and better go. I'll post more later!


Oh, and thank you, thank you friends and family for all your help and calls!

15 comments:

Amber said...

I agree with you, they are cursed. I am so incredibly sorry you had to go through all of that. I hope you can heal up quickly, now that you are home. DO NOT HESITATE FOR A MOMENT TO ASK FOR HELP!!! OKAY. Braydan has seriously been incredible. I have seen it first hand. I am happy you have had him to take care of you over this long weekend. He is a great guy! call me anytime day or night! I won't have much at all going on after Monday.

KyleandAmanda said...

You poor thing! I hope that you start feeling better soon! It is so hard to be sick and not have you family close by to help. Thank goodness for good friends!

RaeAnn said...

So sorry that you have to go through that! I am glad you knew what it was though. So, I watch the Drs. and that basically makes me a doctor and they said to ALWAYS finish your anti-biotics. So I hope you just quit the pain meds, and not those, because cursed infection is a post we don't want to see.

shandikimille said...

Awe that doesn't look like fun at all! I stopped taking my medicine for the pain after my wisdom teeth too because it made me dizzy and tired, but they gave me nausea medication. hope you feel better soon!

Ashley said...

What the heck? I didn't even know you were going through this nightmare. I am so so sorry. I wish I was in Walla Walla and I would drive there in a heartbeat. I hope that things get better and nursing can get back to normal. You are in my prayers. You poor thing!

Unknown said...

UGH- I hope I never have to go through that sort of thing again, Cris got his out about a month after we started dating . . . the nightmare continued for 2 more years. If you have any weirdness around your incisions, don't be a doofus like Cris and call the dr. His body didn't tolerate the permanent sutures they put in him . . . WEIRD. Hope everything gets back to normal soon.

Toni Parmelee said...

Jessica, So sorry for the drama. Hope things are getting better.

Saralyn said...

Wow! I'm so sorry! That sounds hateful. Why do we even have those darn things anyway (the appendix I mean, not the kids) :).

KANDY said...

I'm with Ashley.......I guess I'm not part of the " social circle" cause I heard nothing of this from Amber or anyone else! I would have totally come visit you and smuggled you something yummy to eat, or a movie to watch or something! Now I feel like a loser for being the last to know!! Well~ you are out of the hospital now, I hope you are feeling better. If you need a meal or something...just call. I'll pray for a speedy recovery! :)
Kandy

caldwell said...

Get better my friend!!! That sounds like no fun at all. Kind of sounds like the recovery from a c-section, which I know all to well. Take it easy and milk the help all you can.

Matt said...

Glad you are out and home at least! Rebecca is begging me to write to ask to take your kids tomorrow. Maybe she will call you, too.

We are thinking of you.

Alisha said...

hi sissy. im sorry you have to go through this plus your busy kids. im glad i had it out before kids!! let mom take care of you and help you. rest up - i love you and let me know when braydans camp is in august so i can get plane tickets

Steph said...

You poor thing! Hope recovery is going ok, and don't be too proud to ask for help! Get your mama over there!!

Parker Family said...

I had to laugh when you pushed Kaleb off the bed. That was like Gavin with the C-sections. I wanted to see and hold him then would freak out when he wouldn't hold still. I am glad things are going better. Craig told me you didn't like the pain pills. Those one I loved no side effects just no pain it was wonderful.

Parker Family said...

Oh and get better!