Mount Baker

So, this past weekend was Mount Baker for Braydan. They left Thursday after work and got back late Saturday night (more to that story later . . . .) But he had a miserable time so there's hope for him after all! The miserableness started before they even got to the mountain. The last part of the road was washed out 7 miles so they had an extra 14 miles round trip to pack in. The other part was really deep snow. It was just barely warm enough that they sunk in every step and made it extra difficult to climb. They climbed all day Friday, stopped at 7pm and then got up at 1 am to start again! I guess you're supposed to be on the glacier at night when the sun won't move it. So they hiked all night and were still hiking at 10 am when Dallin (one of their Priests) started throwing up a lot.
On top, but not officially. You can see the summit with the little point out there.
They were only 200 vertical feet from the summit, but they turned around. AND I'm glad they did cause they ended up getting home at 10pm. Wes told Amber if they weren't back by 9, to call for help. And Braydan told me that he would spend most of Saturday home, so to put it mildly, WE WERE FREAKING OUT! I started to feel a little twinge of worry at 5 when they still weren't back, but we went ahead with our dinner plans and made a deal we'd eat by 6 with or without them. Well 6 rolled around and then 7 and 8 and 9 . . . . . Amber called the ranger station at 9 and no one answered so she called 911. They said someone would go check if their car was there, but they wouldn't start searching till the next morning. Well, gratefully we didn't have to worry about that. We got a text message from one of their phones and then they made it home shortly after that. Here's the lips that greeted me! They were seriously swollen shut the next day cause they were burned so bad. I'll have to post more later. . . . babes are awake!

12 comments:

KANDY said...

o.m.g. look at thos elips! :) I'm sorry, but it is kinda funny looking! I'm glad they all made it home safe! But, somehow I don't think this will effect tehm enough to disuead them from future hikes!

KANDY said...

ok....I am dislexic????sp? I hope you can figure out what I was trying to say

Nielsen6 said...

That adventure sounds terrible, I can't believe there is more. You need to tell Brayden,once he has had children, the wild and crazy adventures have to stop. Maybe he could try golf or tennis!

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh, I hate it! BRaydan it is an amazing accomplishment, but can you stop now and leave my cousin with a husband? Oh Jess, that must have been so stressful waiting to hear form them. Glad you had someone to be with while you waited and waited! I was tearing up just thinking about it. I truly thought Braydan was sticking his tongue out in that last picture.

KyleandAmanda said...

You husbands poor lips! I can't imagine how scared you must have been! I would have been freaking out! I'm glad that they made it home safe!

RaeAnn said...

that is some kind of extreme! Extreme craziness??? I remember loving hiking to the top of a long (maybe 14 mile) hike in perfect conditions. I can't believe they didn't even have snow shoes! I BET you were scared! Glad you are home safe Brayden. Can you take up chess or something now?

symony said...

ha ha ha I have the craziest brother ever! I would have todally freaked out too! sorry your lips got burnt doesn't look like fun to me at all!

Parker Family said...

Braydan is Crazy!

shandikimille said...

awe poor Braydan! and Jessica you too because you almost had a heart attack!

Travis said...

You didn't make it to the top? You better try again this weekend!

mom said...

Braydan, I'm so glad you made it home ok. I was so worried and waiting. We are a hour ahead so it was past my bedtime before I got the good news from Jessica that you made it home.
I agree with some of the comments, you are a married man with kids so time for putting yourself at risk is over!

Saralyn said...

I can't believe you let him go on these trips. I get freaked out when Tim is an hour late coming home from a concert.