Tired of being tired

Okay all you moms, I need some advice!! Kaleb is 9 months old and still not sleeping through the night!! I had one lucky night a month ago when he slept 8 hrs. straight, but that's it! He usually wakes up at 2 and then 4 and then between 6-7 on a good night. Here's the thing: His doctor just told me to keep feeding him at those times. She considers a 5 hour stretch "sleeping through the night" when they're still nursing. I kinda don't agree. He eats 4 meals in his highchair during the day, plus nursing. He should be stuffed for the night right? When he's not teething or sick, I let him cry. I hate it, but all the books say cry it out. Kaleb is very very active and on the low end for weight, so maybe he does burn calories fast, but what about my sleep??? Maybe I'm just selfish and should give up till he's a teenager :) I always look forward to Saturday when I can sleep in (cause braydan takes him), but he's gone at a youth conference :( Maybe next weekend.

Just a side note: THanks Amber for the fun girl's night (or old womens' night)last night. Your work paid off and I think everyone enjoyed and needed that. For anyone that needs a fun party game, try Hoopla. It was pretty entertaining.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

I am not the best one to talk too because Thomas slept through the night the first time at 10 months, but since he's been a champ. The only problem is he always wakes up around 5 or 6, and I throw a bottle in there, and he sleeps until 8. I don't know how to get over that, I love that he will sleep longer. We never did much except stopped getting him out of the crib to feed/give him medicine, and I would let him cry 5 minutes before getting out of bed. A lot of my sisters in-law let their kids cry and say it takes about 3 nights, but they just don't go in. Good luck. Even though Thomas does sleep through the night, he still gets up when he's teething/sick, and we start all over so who knows if they ever permanantly do it:-)

Amber said...

Man, I wish I had some great little piece of wisdom for you. hmmm....One thing is for sure. He does not NEED to eat during the night at this age. So, maybe it is habit for him? Maybe he is teething and that bothers him? Maybe he wakes up and can't go back to sleep with out help? I don't know. But I do know that you are an awesome mom and you will know what is right.
Here is the best advice I always get from my mom. Pray about it.
Yeah, our OLD ladies night was fun =). Thank you for all your help. What would I do without you!?!

Anonymous said...

I don't have kids so I’m not sure if this works, but in nursing school they taught to form a routine with they baby, where you do the same few steps every night in the same order before you put them to bed. They suggested things like reading stories, bathing, singing the same lullaby, as long as it’s a low key/low energy things it doesn’t really matter. Also putting the baby down at the same time each night and waking them at the same time each morning. It’s supposed to train their internal clock. But like I say I have zero experience. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica
I had to smile about the comment of sleeping when they are teenagers. That was funny. At that point you stay up late again waiting for them to come home and sometimes going out looking for them. My children were all good sleepers at night. I think because I love my sleep and can be very ornery at nights. I think my babies knew that and wanted a nice mother. If you do have to get up don't be the nice mother you are. Just get to the business done and go back to bed. Don't even smile at them. Good luck, Marla

Anonymous said...

Isn't sleep problems the worst. Gavin is the worst sleeper ever after we moved out of the apartment I let him cry it out I think it worked but then he still goes in spurts of having bad nights as soon as you figure something out they change. Like now Gavin gets out of bed and turns on the lights crys or goes back to sleep so I just got him a night light for his room which seems to help. I am so jelous of moms who have babies that sleep all night. I hope that I get lucky with Brody and he will be a great sleeper. Only 2 more months then I get to start all over with sleepless nights. Kaleb with have another cousin soon, we are going to have to visit or you will have to come to Arizona it was only 75 for Thanksgiving getting cold.

Anonymous said...

well remi is a really good sleeper but I didn't do a whole lot to get her that way except she is a really big night owl. the doctors always told me to just let her cry it out so i would try that and after about 15 minuates I couldn't handle it anymore so I would just go in there and feed her but I feel horible just letting her cry in there so now I will usually let her cry for about 15 minuates and if she continues to cry i will go in there without turning the lights on or doing anything to intertain her feed her, and leave it seems to work but for getting her to go to sleep i feed her and just let her cry herself to sleep then I will let her cry as long as she needs to because if she could she would stay up forever! I just feel bad hearing all of his bussiness remi doesn't really do anything compared to other babies she just sits there the worst she will do is hit her mommy oh well hopefully she will get over it I miss you guys so much and I am glad that you are safe!!!!! give kaleb kisses for me!!!! love you, symony

Saralyn said...

My doctor says that babies do not need to eat at all during the night by six months. They should be able to go 10-11 hours without eating.

My sisters all recommended the book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Ferber when I was having problems with Tanner. It gives you a method for helping them go to sleep that involves crying, but also comforting them.

Another thing I've read in several books is that a lot of times people blame their child getting up on teething, but it's really not that at all. Teething should only affect them for 1 week or so, not months at a time. Most books I read say that the real problem is just that they are getting to be really social, and they just want to see mom, simple as that. In other words, nothing is really wrong with them, so you don't need to worry about leaving them in there. Obviously that's easier said than done. We haven't needed to let Tanner cry it out ever yet, and I'm hoping we never do!