Can you cheat your way through kindergarten?



Kaleb is in kindergarten.  He has an adorable teacher, Miss De Marco, and 24 other little classmates.  He was excited and nervous for the first day.  He asked me a few times, "But Mom, what are you going to do when I'm gone?"  Party! No, I didn't tell him that.

The first day of school is a milestone and I always pictured myself holding his hand, walking him to his class, kissing goodbye, crying, the whole bit.

Well, Braydan ended up doing it.  I was up most the night with baby and finally fell asleep again at 5.  I didn't get in the shower until 8:30.  As I was toweling off, Braydan yelled, "he has to go.  I'll just take him.  See you later!"

My heart sank.  My baby off to kindergarten without me!  I called Braydan as soon as I was dressed to see how it went.  He was just fine.  He played outside until the bell rang and then the teachers came out and told them where to line up.  Miss De Marco told them to wave goodbye to their parents and he went inside just like that.

I have to give myself some credit.  I did get up and make crepes (his request) and take some pictures of him.


Today was his 9th day in school (I only know that because he told me).  As I was rushing around this morning, hurrying to feed baby, find Eliza's shoes, cramming in a few bites of pancakes in between, I noticed Kaleb moping around.

"Kaleb, what are you doing ? We have to go to school."  

"I'm not going.  I feel sick." 

Now, you'll notice how the old me responds.

"What? You're not sick.  Come on, get your shoes on." 

"I don't want to go to school. " 

"You're going to school!  What are you talking about?  It's only the 3rd week!"

As I started to lecture him on how he'd better get used to going to school and how he'd be confined to his bed and no movies if he really was sick, I suddenly thought of this book.



So, new me responding:

So, you're feeling sick or are you scared about something at school.

Long pause.

I'm scared to run across the big field.  

Oh.

And my legs hurt when we have to sit criss-cross applesauce all day.  And I don't know how to do the centers.

Oh.

Then we problem solved quickly and came up with some solutions and he happily hopped into the van to school.

He's so funny.  The second or third day he came home so excited because he had homework. He opened his bag and took out a single paper about library books.  It was for parents to sign and that's it.  I didn't want to crush his dreams of homework, so I made up that he had to sign his name too.

Now he really has homework and I caught him doing a funny thing today.  Part of his assignment is a reading log.  I noticed him coloring it every so often and didn't think anything of it until today at dinner  he showed me he was done.

What? You're done?  But that's for the whole week.

I just pretended that we read because I want to turn in my homework tomorrow.

 Yipes.  I'm in for it.  Faking sick and cheating on homework in one day.

Just kidding Kaleb.  We love you!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

WHAT a great post. I feel like we are living the same lives. Seriously I can relate to every single situation you just wrote haha. I am definitely going to have to check out that book. What a great way to respond. And what a sweet boy Kaleb is. I miss you, and think of you lots. I am coming to town the weekend of the 23rd and want to see you guys. I am glad you're posting again, maybe I'll get better again too.

mom said...

I loved the stories about Kaleb and his experiences with Kindergarten. That is good you read the book and responded better so he would tell you what really is the matter :)
Thanks for sharing!
I saw pictures of baby Jane on FB and she has changed so much since I saw her. Reddish hair and chubby cheeks.

symony said...

That is so cute! Be glad you didn't drop him off because you would have cried like me! ha ha ha I think it is funny that they do the exact same thing for kindgerten as here, They play until the bell rings, teachers come out, line up and wave goodbye to their parrents. You are such a good mom to remember the book you read and figured out how to say it in the right way! Hope things are going well, we miss you!

The Barrett's said...

So blessed to have you as their Mom