You're probably thinking I'm gonna fail at this whole thing by the way I started, but it got better as the week went on! I started with taking him every 30 minutes, but quickly discovered that was too long, so moved it to every 15 minutes. He never had another accident on the carpet, but the kitchen got it's share :) I gave up with underwear after the first day and let him go half naked. It seems he could understand he didn't have a diaper on better when I did that. When I'd try to take him potty before the timer beeped, he'd say "No Mommy!! The timer not go off yet!" (Then I'd sneakily go move the time up to one minute! :)
Toward the end of the week when I took him every 3o minutes, he'd have nothing. So I thought, okay time to move it to 45 min. That seemed to work with no accidents so I moved it to an hour and today I never set a timer! I was nervous about it, but we were in the garage working and suddenly he looked up at me really worried and said I have to go potty!!! I thought it was probably too late by then, but i picked him up and he was still dry so we hurried to the bathroom and he made it! Success! That gave me confidence to take him to the library and he had no accidents. I showed him the bathroom there and asked if he had to go, but he held it till he got home!
Luckily I never had to worry about the pooping part. He's had that down for a long time now because I made him go after lunch every day. Oh, another thing I did to motivate him is take his firetruck away if he didn't stay dry. I put it on top of the fridge so he can always see it and remind him he can have it back if he goes potty. I also gave him skittles when he remembered to ask for a treat.
My favorite thing that he says every time he's done and I'm pulling up his underwear is,
"Mom, don't snap me!" It took me a minute at first to figure out what he meant, but I guess I was pulling a little too much on the elastic of his underwear and snapped his you-know-what. So that's the counsel I get after every time I take him! A word of advice from kaleb: "DON'T SNAP YOUR PEEPEE!"
I know we're not done training yet, but so far so good. I hope it sticks! One thing I thought interesting that I need to remember is that how happy my kids were staying home all week! Sometimes i try and do too much and end up wearing us all out. It's fun to go places, but we don't need to all the time.
14 comments:
Congratulations! One big step in the right direction. Cayten has an accident every few months now but it is oh so wonderful!
We should be on the phone every day with encouraging words!! Have you done the night time training? I feel totally in the dark with this. It's been a week, and we have about one accident a day and a couple at night. Plenty of laundry to go around. The timer is a good idea, and the story of no snapee cracked me up!
Great Job! I am very impressed it sounds like he learned really quick.
Wow! Awesome Kaleb and especially you. Go Jessica!!!!! So do you want to potty train Katie for me. I heard girls are easier =). LOL!!!
The joys of potty training! Way to stick with it!
I loved this post! Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement! WAY TO GO KALEB!!!One day I will try...
One quick post doesn't quite capture how long the week must have really felt! Congrats!! What will you do with your new-found wealth?
That was fast! It took me much longer. Good job!
wait, that didn't sound right. It didn't take ME longer, just my kids. You know what I mean...
Wow you are amazing! I don't think I'm ready for that battle yet, but when I am I'll try some of your tricks. Your kids are darling.
Good job Kaleb! We still have some accidents at night but of course he refuses to wear his diaper anymore. He acts just like Chase does in that video.
What a week! I'm so glad he is catching it. I'm glad you realize now that ya don't have to be going all the time. Kids like to stay home! The video of Kaleb is pretty funny!
Thanks for sharing Jessica. We are going to try and start potty training Tristan here soon. He did go potty for the first time in his own potty the other day but then right after he did that he went on both bathroom floors!
woot woot go jess! potty training = not so much fun for mom and dad.I think you are over the hump for sure now and hes got it down! it takes about a week to break them of any habits or to train them to do anything!
Post a Comment